VisArts Create on The Square: 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, June 19-Aug. 28
A hands-on outdoor art lab to inspire the artist in you. VisArts will provide instructors, art assistants and all art materials for each event.
July 3, Aug. 14: Fluid Painting
Participants over the age of 10 can learn about this fun and easy style of painting. Participants will be given four ceramic tiles to experiment with. Tiles can be taken home with directions for varnishing them to protect the surfaces. Younger participants must be accompanied by an adult to try this project.
July 10, 24, Aug. 28: Try the Wheel
Participants will have the opportunity to experience the magic (and challenges) of working on a pottery wheel. This is a creative experience and nothing will be taken home.
July 17: Pendulum Painting
The intersection of art and science. Participants older than 7 will make a canvas using a pendulum and paint. All participants can take their canvas home with them. Younger participants must work with an adult.
July 31: Crab Shell Painting
Using acrylic paint markers, participants can create a beautiful one-of-a-kind work of art suitable for hanging on a Christmas tree or in a window.
Aug. 7: Garden Gnomes
Start with a cone-shaped piece of clay and add faces, hats and other details to make a garden feature. Participants must be age 8 and older (or, if younger, working with a parent). Work will be fired at VisArts and can be picked up in the main office on the third floor after two weeks. Gnomes can be painted and sealed at home to complete the project.
Aug. 21: Date Night Drawing!
Sit opposite your friend or partner and experience the fun and challenge of making a continuous line drawing.
Salsa at The Square: 6-9 p.m. Thursdays, June 6-Sept. 26
Start your weekend off with a night of Latin dance classes by local favorite Victor Maysonet, followed by DJ-led music to dance and recharge to.
2019 Friday Night Live Summer Concert Series: 6-9 p.m. Through Sept. 27
- July 5: Mambo Combo (Latin/salsa).
- July 12: Scott Kurt and Memphis 59 (country).
- July 19: The Crawdaddies (roots/zydeco).
- July 26: Hustle Souls (indie-pop).
- Aug. 2: The Natty Beaux (swing).
- Aug. 9: The Players Band (ska/reggae).
- Aug. 16: Guys in Thin Ties (’80s tribute).
- Aug. 23: Matt Hutchison and the Big Gin (pop/rock).
- Aug. 30: Moonshine Society (blues/roots/soul).
- Sept. 6: Will Hill (reggae/rock and soul).
- Sept. 13: Baltimore Rockabilly (rockabilly).
- Sept. 20: Justin Trawick and the Common Good (bluegrass/Americana).
- Sept. 27: Mambo Combo (Latin/salsa).