Contributions from more than 190 individuals and community organization generated $70,000 worth of food, cash, toys and gift cards for the 2018 Rockville Holiday Drive.
Those generous donations — and hard work of volunteers — allowed Rockville to:
- Distribute Thanksgiving food baskets and grocery store gift cards to more than 500 Rockville households.
- Treat more than 100 Rockville seniors to a Thanksgiving dinner.
- Provide 309 teens with a gift card to a local retailer.
- Give 287 seniors and households without children a gift card to a local grocery store.
- Operate the city’s annual toy shop, providing over 1,800 toys, books and games to more than 450 children under age 12.
- Match 55 Rockville families — a total of 238 individuals — with sponsors who provided gifts, tailored to each family’s specific needs, through the family sponsorship program.
Forty-five donors and partners were awarded certificates by the Mayor and Council, at their Jan. 28 meeting, for helping the 2018 Holiday Drive.
Nine organizations were recognized with plaques as distinguished donors: Bar-T, Emmes, Family Healthcare, White Flint Children’s House, Faith United Methodist Church, Institutional Shareholder Services, Sanberger Inc., Shulman Rogers, and Westat.
Partner organizations that received plaques were: Montrose Baptist Church, Richard Montgomery High School, Robert Frost Middle School, Rockville High School, St. Mary’s Catholic Church, and St. Mary’s School.