Rockville’s water remains safe and reliable. About 70% of the City of Rockville receives its drinking water through the city’s water system. Another 30% receives water from the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission. City water is treated through Rockville’s water treatment plant on the banks of the Potomac River. The city is taking steps to respond to the novel (new) coronavirus. Here are some things to know about Rockville’s water supply:
- COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, has not been detected in drinking water.
- Virus transmission is not a risk in treated drinking water or sewage.
- COVID-19 is a respiratory virus. No oral-fecal transmission is documented to date.
- Enveloped viruses, like COVID-19, are more susceptible to disinfection and less stable in the environment.
- Disinfectants such as chlorine, which is used to treat drinking water and sewage, render COVID-19 inactive.
- The city is ensuring water treatment operations continue without disruption, including adequate staffing by licensed operators. Water workers are protected by standard safety practices and personal protective equipment.
- Water customers are encouraged to be diligent
about hand washing:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover a cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Stay home if you are sick.
Recognizing that water is essential to protecting public health, the city and WSSC will not shut off water service during the coronavirus outbreak.
For more information about the city’s water system, including a map that allows users to check their address to see where their water comes from, visit www.rockvillemd.gov/water.
For information from WSSC, visit www.wsscwater.com/coronavirus.
For the latest city-related information, should anything change, we recommend following the City of Rockville on social media (Nextdoor, Facebook and Twitter), visiting our website at www.rockvillemd.gov, or signing up for Alert Rockville.
- Nextdoor: https://nextdoor.com/agency/city-of-rockville.
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/cityofrockville.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/rockville411.
- Alert Rockville: www.rockvillemd.gov/alerts.
Find a list of resources with up-to-date and trustworthy information at RockvillerReports.com/resources-and-information-on-covid-19-novel-coronavirus.