Improve your wellness, be better prepared and learn to be safer with free classes for the 60-plus crowd, held July and August at the Rockville Senior Center.
- Brain Health Assessment. Is your memory normal? Should you see a doctor? This workshop delivers a free and private brain health assessment to answer those questions. Two sessions will be held on Tuesday, July 17: 1-2 p.m. (Course #5450) and 2-3 p.m. (Course #5714).
- What You Didn’t Know About the Ear, Hearing and Vertigo, 1-2 p.m. Tuesday, July 10. Learn the impact hearing loss has on balance, prevent falls, and stay active and healthy for longer. Course #5153.
- Feel It in Your Bones, 1-2 p.m. Thursday, July 26. Fractures and bone weakness become more of a reality with aging. Dr. Jay Shapiro, an endocrinologist, discusses how to maintain optimal bone health, prevention strategies and treatment options. Course #5218.
- Exploring Technology Devices. Find out how smart technology makes aging in place a viable option. Course #5753. Held 1-2:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9.
- Emergency Preparedness Tips for Seniors, 1-2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23. Volunteers from the Department of Homeland Security review practical steps to be better prepared for an emergency. Course #5721.
- Balance and Fall Prevention. Practical ways to prevent falls. Risk assessments will be offered. 1-2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28. Course #5722.
- Stress Reduction/Meditation. Focus, relax and come to a more peaceful sense of being. Mondays, 1-2 p.m. July 9-Sept. 10. Course #5154. $30, members; $35, nonmembers; $40, nonresidents.
Register with the course number at www.rockvillemd.gov/registration, call 240-314-8800 or stop by the senior center’s information desk.