Anyone can become a victim of a crime of opportunity. The Rockville City Police Department offers these tips to protect you from crime while driving:
- Always keep your car doors locked, whether you are in or out of your car.
- If your car breaks down, pull over to the right as far as possible, raise the hood and wait inside the locked car for help. Avoid getting out of the car and making yourself a target before police arrive.
- Travel well-lit and busy streets. Plan your route.
- If you carry a purse, don’t leave your purse on the seat beside you. Put it on the floor, where it is more difficult for someone to grab it.
- Lock bundles or bags in the trunk. If interesting packages are out of sight, a thief will be less tempted to break in to steal them.
- When returning to your car, check the front and back seat before entering.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
Remember that crime prevention is everyone’s responsibility. Find more crime and safety tips with the RCPD’s weekly crime reports at www.rockvillemd.gov/271/Weekly-Crime-Reports.