Restoring or repairing the outside of a historic home? Preserving the exterior of a historic structure? You could be eligible for a property tax credit.
Learn about how to apply for historic preservation tax credit from 7-8:30 p.m. Thursday, March 19 at Rockville City Hall, 111 Maryland Ave.
The Montgomery County Planning Department will provide an overview of the county’s historic preservation tax credit program and application requirements. Rockville takes part in the tax credit program for local structures designated as historic.
If your property in Rockville is designated by the city as historic and you spent at least $1,000 on exterior maintenance between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2019, you may be eligible for reduction of your property taxes for the coming year, up to 25% of the approved expenses.
Eligible projects include:
- Exterior painting.
- Uncovering and repairing original siding.
- Repairing roofs or replacing them in-kind.
- Repointing brick or stone foundations, or chimneys.
- Repairing windows, architectural trim or ornament.
- Repairing and maintaining outbuildings, such as barns and garages.
- Restoring a documented feature, such as a dormer or porch that was previously altered or removed.
The city is now accepting applications for work completed in the calendar year 2019. For more information, contact 240-314-8230 or email to email@example.com.
Applications should be postmarked by April 1, 2020, and sent to Rockville Historic Preservation, City Hall, 111 Maryland Ave., Rockville MD 20850.