Skip to content

Rockville Offers Assistance to Workers Struggling Due to Federal Shutdown

Delayed Payment Available on Some City Bills

The federal government shutdown has caused hardship for some furloughed Rockville residents, and the city is here to help.

Struggling federal employees and contractors could be eligible for delayed payment, with no penalties, on certain city services, such as summer camp registration, preschool and before and after-school care, water bills and animal registration fees.

Residents seeking delayed payments can contact the relevant city department for more information, and must provide proof of Rockville residency and federal employment, or of being a federal contractor (for example, with a federal employee/contractor ID badge or employer’s letter).

  • UTILITY BILLING: Call 240-314-8420 or email [email protected].
  • RECREATION AND PARKS CHILD CARE AND SUMMER CAMPS: Call 240-314-8620 or email [email protected]. (Applicants for summer camps must register in person at City Hall or other facilities.)
  • ANIMAL REGISTRATION: Call 240-314-8937 or email [email protected].


The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission is suspending water shut-offs, waiving late fees and establishing payment plans for Rockville residents with WSSC accounts.

Pepco is providing information about programs tailored to help customers with temporary or extended hardship, including those impacted by the federal government shutdown, at

Washington Gas is offering flexible payment arrangements for federal government employees impacted by the shutdown.

Other City and Nonprofit Services

Other helpful services are available through the city and local nonprofits:

Rockville’s Financial Assistance Program Can Help in an Emergency

Help with a financial crisis may be available through the Rockville Emergency Assistance Program (REAP) to help Rockville residents facing eviction, or utility shut-off, or to cover prescription costs. Referrals for emergency food, clothing, financial/employment counseling and other assistance are also provided.

For more information on REAP, including eligibility requirements, visit

Support with Food is Available

The Rockville-based nonprofits Manna Food Center and Nourish Now can help federal workers who need food. To receive help, or to make a donation, find them at and

(Manna Food Center will be seeking donations at select Giant grocery stores during its Jan. 19-20 Martin Luther King Jr. Service Weekend Food Drive.)

Consider donating non-perishable food items at the following city collection points: City Hall (111 Maryland Ave.); Thomas Farm Community Center (700 Fallsgrove Drive); Lincoln Park Community Center (357 Frederick Ave.); Twinbrook Community Recreation Center (12920 Twinbrook Parkway); the Rockville Senior Center (1150 Carnation Drive); and the Rockville Swim and Fitness Center (355 Martins Lane).

For a comprehensive list of nonprofits that provide community services for housing, youth, basic services and more in the City of Rockville, see our caregivers guide.

Financial Assistance Available From the Rockville Youth Recreation Fund

A limited amount of scholarships for recreation program fees are available to Rockville residents aged 18 and younger. Financial assistance must be applied for in-person at the time of registration. Limited financial assistance is available for Rockville residents, ages 19 and older, based on income.

Call 240-314-8620 for an appointment. For more information, see page 54 of the winter 2018-19 “Life in Rockville” recreation activity guide at

Spend Time Volunteering

For those who may not be struggling financially, but who want to help out, Rockville has dozens of volunteer opportunities available.

Most Recent Articles

Juneteenth in Rockville

Rockville City Hall and some city facilities will be closed Wednesday, June 19 as the city observes Juneteenth. During the Juneteenth holiday week, Monday and Tuesday recycling, trash and yard waste collections will occur as usual. Wednesday and Thursday collections

Read More »

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Get the best of Rockville Reports delivered right to your email and stay up to date on what’s happening in our city.

Contact Us

Have a story idea? Email or call the City of Rockville’s Public Information Office.

About Rockville Reports

Rockville Reports is the official publication of the City of Rockville, published at City Hall, 111 Maryland Ave., Rockville, MD 20850-2364.