The City of Rockville is taking additional action to address persistent delays in yard waste collections due to severe staffing shortages.
Beginning on Saturday, June 11, the city will collect yard waste on Saturdays in all areas, citywide, that were missed throughout the week. If your yard waste was not collected during the week, please leave it at the curb by 6 a.m. for collection on Saturday.
Collection delays are expected to continue throughout the summer. Many jurisdictions, both regionally and nationally, are confronting this challenge as the solid waste industry faces a severe shortage of operators with commercial driver’s licenses. Rockville understands the importance of routine yard waste collections and is making every effort to provide this weekly service.
Here’s how you can help:
- If your yard waste is not collected on your normal collection day, please leave it at the curb until a crew returns on Saturday.
- Consider lightening your yard waste load by grasscycling, which leaves grass clippings on the lawn as an easy fertilizer.
- Slow down to get around. Take extra care when operating a vehicle near workers. Slow down when driving near or passing recycling and trash trucks and other utility vehicles.
- Please remember that the crews staffing collection trucks are doing their best. Their work is physically demanding and complicated by summer heat, storms and equipment failures. Please be patient.
- Stay in the know. For more information about city recycling, trash, yard waste and special collections, visit www.rockvillemd.gov/recycling-trash.
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience. The city is recruiting sanitation workers and making every effort to bring staffing levels back to where we can once again resume regularly scheduled collections. To learn how to join our team, visit www.rockvillemd.gov/careers.