The State Highway Administration is hosting public workshops across Montgomery and Prince George’s counties this month about a proposed project to widen interstates 270 and 495, including a workshop in Rockville on Thursday, April 25.
Search results: "I-270"
The state has responded to a request by Rockville’s Mayor and Council to formally commit to not take homes or breach sound wall boundaries as part of a proposed project to widen Interstates 270 and 495.
City Wants governor to commit in writing Not to Take Homes
Rockville’s Mayor and Council are asking Gov. Larry Hogan to commit – in writing – to not take homes or breach sound wall boundaries as part of a proposed project to widen Interstates 270 and 495.
In a Sept. 28 letter to Hogan and state transportation officials, the Mayor and Council cited public statements by Hogan and state transportation Secretary Pete K. Rahn that no homes will be taken.
“We thank you for these positive statements and for listening to the community’s concerns,” the Mayor and Council wrote.
“We respectfully request that Governor Hogan commit his intentions to writing and place them on the I-270 & I-495 project web site. Additionally, please confirm that the sound walls in place will not be breached.”
The letter follows efforts by the Mayor and Council and by Rockville communities to meet with state officials and to generate comments urging the state to protect neighborhoods abutting I-270.
To learn more and comment on the project, visit https://495-270-p3.com/contact.
City Manager: Modifying Existing Lanes Could Be Considered
The City of Rockville remains opposed to the taking of residences, businesses or city infrastructure as part of the state’s I-495 & I-270 Public-Private Partnership Program, City Manager Rob DiSpirito said in an Aug. 23 letter to the Maryland Department of Transportation.
Letter to the State Details Pollution and Traffic Concerns
The Mayor and Council in May sent a letter to the Maryland Department of Transportation expressing opposition to any widening or addition of lanes to Interstate 270 in Rockville as part of the state’s I-495 & I-270 Public-Private Partnership Program.
Maryland General Assembly’s 90-Day Session Begins Jan. 9
Rockville’s 2019 state legislative priorities call for more state aid for school construction and for senior services, opposition to the state taking homes or businesses as part of plans to widen Interstate 270, and funding for a replacement shelter at Isreal Park.
2018 has been a busy year for the City of Rockville. The city was recognized as the best place to live in Maryland by “Money” magazine (and if you live here, you already know that, right?), hired a new police chief and planning director, sadly lost a former mayor, and adopted voting by mail for the 2019 Mayor and Council elections. And that’s not all. Here are some of the key events in a retrospective on 2018:
JANUARY: A zoning text amendment was approved at the Jan. 22 Mayor and Council meeting to implement land-use policies of the Rockville Pike Neighborhood Plan. The approval cleared the way for the Rockville Pike Neighborhood Plan to become a reality.
community advocates for protecting neighborhoods
The city opposes the taking of residences, businesses or city infrastructure, or the removal of sound barriers as part of proposed improvements to interstates 270 and 495, and a community effort recently carried neighborhoods’ concerns to the state.
Maryland transportation officials told city officials last month that the state has no plans to take homes by eminent domain to widen the highways, echoing statements by Gov. Larry Hogan during a Sept. 4 news conference in Annapolis.
Results from a survey conducted to assess residents’ views on whether they desire a new community center are available online at the City of Rockville’s website.
The “City of Rockville Community Interest Survey” was conducted Jan. 8-Feb. 7 and was sent to households within the general area proposed for the new center — west of I-270 and south of Hurley Avenue.
A letter from the Mayor and Council to urge Gov. Larry Hogan to fund additional bus service during the Metro Safetrack repairs became a letter thanking him after Hogan announced Monday he’d allocated $1 million in state funds for the shuttles.