Refuse and Recycling

Rockville provides a comprehensive and environmentally friendly recycling and refuse program for single-family homes and most townhouses. Single-stream recycling of mixed paper, metals, clear and colored glass, and plastics allows residents to recycle many items. The city also provides special collections for household hazardous waste, electronics and bulk refuse items that do not fit into recycling and refuse carts, including metal items such as appliances and furniture. Learn more at

Paying Utility Bills

The city offers online bill payment for water and sewer service. Customers may also choose to receive bills by email rather than by mail. Learn more at Not every residence or business within Rockville receives water and sewer service from the city. Some are served by the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission ( Residents should check their utility bill to see if it is issued by the city or by WSSC, or may find their service provider by entering their address on a map at For billing questions, call 240-314-8420 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.

Water and Sewer Emergencies

The Department of Public Works provides a 24-hour emergency line at 240-
314-8567 for reporting water leaks, sewer backups and overflows, and other emergencies related to water and sewer service, or to streets. Details about water main breaks and sewer line overflows affecting more than 25 residences and/or businesses are posted at

Property Taxes

The city charges residents a real property tax and charges businesses a real and personal property tax. The tax rates for Fiscal Year 2017, which ends June 30, equal $0.292 per $100 of assessed value for real property and $0.805 per $100 of assessed value for personal property. More than half of the city’s general fund revenue is derived from real and personal property tax. Learn more at The Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation is responsible for determining the assessed values for all properties in Rockville. The city’s property taxes are billed on the Montgomery County consolidated tax bill in July of each year. Learn more at

Leaf Collection Tips

The city vacuums leaves from alongside neighborhood streets each spring and fall.

Collection dates are announced in “Rockville Reports” and at Visit for collection tips and an interactive map that allows residents to input their address to learn when leaves will be collected in their neighborhood.

Street Trees

The City Forester’s Office is responsible for maintaining trees along city streets within the public right of way, in parks and around city facilities. In general, street trees are located between the curb and sidewalk. Learn more at


Do you know a neighborhood that could use a sidewalk? The city’s Sidewalk Prioritization Policy helps determine the order in which the city constructs sidewalks. Rockville residents may circulate a petition to have new sidewalks constructed. Learn about the policy, view a map of sidewalks prioritized for construction and find petition forms at

Snow Shoveling

Snow and ice removal is the responsibility of the owner, occupant or community association of the property adjacent a sidewalk, driveway or entrance. Snow and ice must be cleared within 24-72 hours of the end of a snowfall, depending on the snowfall totals (up to 3 inches = within 24 hours; 3-9 inches = within 48 hours; 10 inches or more = within 72 hours). Learn more about how Rockville responds to snow – and what property owners’ and residents’ responsibilities are – at

Licenses and Permits

The city issues building, fence and other permits. Apply at Marriage licenses are issued by the Montgomery County Circuit Court. Learn more at

Animal Regulations

Effective July 1, 2015, any dog, cat or ferret over 4 months old must be licensed and, when off premises, wear a tag and collar, unless they are microchipped. Pet license applications are available at

Code Enforcement

City inspectors conduct community enhancement inspections to identify code violations, educate the community about property maintenance codes, improve overall quality of life in neighborhoods and preserve property values. Typical code violations include abandoned or junk vehicles; chipped and peeling paint; defective sheds, garages, or fences; general exterior maintenance; pest or rodent infestation; missing address numbers; missing or defective smoke detectors; overcrowding or prohibited habitation; parking on grass; tall grass and weeds in excess of 10 inches; trash accumulation; and unsanitary conditions. Learn more at

Historic Tax Credits

City, state and federal tax credits are available for properties located within designated historic districts or listed in the National Register of Historic Places. For any one project, a property owner may apply for all programs (local, state, and federal) for which they qualify. Learn more and find applications at